February 18, 2015

Rimmel | Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation

Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation in Light Ivory | $4.99 for 1 fl. oz.

I love love love trying out new foundations, and I find that ones from the drugstore are some of my favorites to experiment with. Not only do you get a huge selection of textures and brands to choose from, but its for a fraction of the price of what you would pay at any department store.

One foundation I've been seeing a ton of buzz about lately is the Rimmel Stay Matte foundation. The price is great for a drugstore foundation at only $4.99, and the liquid mousse texture definitely intrigued me enough to try it out. 


I thought I would dislike the packaging of this foundation but I actually like it a lot. I find that even with pump foundations I can end up using too much product so this is perfect to squeeze out exactly what you need. I also think it feels surprisingly higher end and its got me quite impressed by Rimmel now.

Right off the bat I realized that choosing a shade might be pretty difficult, as the range doesn't have a whole ton to choose from. Not only is being a pale girl hard in foundation world, but even worse is being a pale girl with yellow undertones which seems to be lacking in this line. I ended up going out on a whim and bought Light Ivory though despite looking like it was going to be far too pink for my skintone, but the pink in it is much less menacing when swatched on the skin.


The formula itself is very thick since its a mousse, but has a nice fluffy, whipped texture so it doesn't come across as heavy or cakey on the skin. I find that since it has a very powdery finish though, it will likely cling to dry patches so while this foundation isn't out of the option for you dry skinned ladies, I would definitely moisturize well before applying to avoid any build up around those areas.

When I normally think of mousse foundations, I think of an uneven and patchy application, that transfers easily and has stinky wear time. This foundation has none of that to my surprise though, and actually looks great on the skin. Unlike liquid foundations that feel sticky and heavy, once applied this feels like a powder and instantly feels soft and smooth on the face. My favorite part about this is that my skin actually feels and looks like real skin and its the only foundation I own where I don't think a setting powder is necessary because it drys so matte. It doesn't feel like my skin is dehydrated either though, so you really get the best of both worlds with this foundation. 


Here, I have a fresh, clean face, with only moisturizer applied. As you can see, I do have a few red areas around my face including some acne around my forehead and sides of my face.


This is after I've applied one layer of Stay Matte with a damp beauty blender. I find that it has medium coverage that is slightly buildable. As you can see, I still have a tiny bit of redness still peaking through on my forehead, but I like using concealer for smaller jobs like that instead of adding extra layers of foundation so I don't have too much coverage where it isn't need.


And finally my full face! I just did a quick easy face with some blush, bronzer, and a little eye makeup to pull everything together. This foundation is just a smidge too pink on me because I do have such prominent yellow undertones, but the shade itself is light enough for my complextion so I think I'll just invest in a yellower toned powder to dust over it. 

The wear time on this is waaaay better then I anticipated. I figured it would last a few hours on me but even by hour 10 of wear I found I had only the slightest bit of oiliness around my nose and very slight patching on my chin.

While this foundation is good alone, I find that with a primer underneath its brilliant. Without a primer, it seems to tug and drag a bit when applying because it has such a matte finish, but with a primer it glides across the skin easily and I find that it doesn't point out the little pumps or pores I have like other foundations can tend to do. I think if you have a bit of bumpy areas like me or are finding it hard to like this product by itself, definitely try it out with a primer and see if your thoughts on it change! (I use the Too Faced Primed and Poreless for reference.)

Overall, I love the way this foundation looks and feels on my skin and I think its an amazing drugstore option for those of you looking for a matte, powdery finish that still looks natural on the skin. The color selection isn't the greatest, but if you can find a match then I think you'll really like this foundation. If you're having trouble getting it to work with your skin, I would highly recommend using it with a primer to see if it grows on you that way! This is a great example of what a mousse foundation should be and I'm highly impressed by Rimmel's Stay Matte for how affordable it is.


~~~
Shown Above:

No comments:

Post a Comment